Not that I post very often anyway. Indolence is the watchword of Onions for Eyeballs.
Best get to the point, then – below are myten favourite albums of 2012, in reverse order.
First, some honourable mentions. Great albums one and all. Any one of these could have been in my top 10 had I compiled it on a different day, in a different mood, with a different level of caffeine or cheese in my bloodstream.
- Kayo Dot – Gamma Knife
- Sidsel Endresen & Stian Westerhus – Didymoi Dreams
- Bong – Mana-Yood-Sashai
- Divorce – Divorce
- Ictus Ensemble & Mike Patton – Laborintus II
- Converge – All we Love we Leave Behind
- Volcano the Bear – Golden Rhythm/Ink Music
- Melvins Lite – Freak Puke
- Asva & Philippe Petit – Empires Will Burn
- Thumpermonkey - Sleep Furiously
- Getatchew Mekuria + The Ex + Friends – Y'Anbessaw Tezeta
- Neurosis – Honor Found in Decay
- Man Forever - Pansophical Contract
Right, now the list proper. Onward!
(Spotify playlist here)
10.MOTORPSYCHO AND STÅLE STORLØKKEN
In the wake of that punishment, The Seer made so much more sense. Everything about it defies the obvious, avoids cliché (even Swans clichés) and exudes contradiction. It’s brittle and invulnerable at the same time. It’s deeply psychedelic without hinting at any cultural references associated with that term. It’s bleached-bones stark and lavishly opulent. It’s brutal and tender. Even for an album reliant on a loosely standard guitar-rock sonic template, it sounds like nothing else on Earth. Consider me floored.